2015 / Radio Drama
One man in a coma and the whole town wants to talk to him.
2017 - Shortlist for European Grand Prix Nova
2015 - National PPI Award winner for Radio Drama
Written & Produced by Kevin McCann.
Series 1 co-written with Peter Murphy and edited with Séamus Callagy.
"Radio artistry at its very best"
– Sunday Independent
ListenListen to Coma
This drama series for Irish national radio explores 10 very different inner dramas from 5 women and 5 men.
- A doctor who has betrayed her childhood dreams defends her high status as she is too invested to turn back.
- A butcher tells the coma victim ‘I really enjoying inflicting misery on people’, then considers an apology to his wife and customers.
- A young girl next door confesses to becoming a school bully in order to survive in her new school.
- A once-popular priest seeks forgiveness for causing the suicide of one of his sinful flock.
- A mother of a coma victim whispers her sin in his ear, that her wish to be rid of him may indeed have come true in a cruel way.
- A father apologises to his son for neglecting him and hopes for a cycle of paternal abuse to be ended.
- On their anniversary, a coma victim is told by his loyal girlfriend that she has been tempted by infidelity for the first time at a recent disco.
- A selfish mé-féiner reveals to his best friend who lies in a coma, his plan to once again get out of trouble.
- A psychiatric patient with a new lease of life visits her friend in a coma to reveal that she is discarding her old friends, starting with him.
- A football manager who blames one of his substitution decisions for John’s coma, finally absolves himself from the years of guilt.
PRESS ARTICLESIrish IndependentIrish IndependentGrand Prix Nova